1. for those who don't get this: current Polish govt wants to undermine Walesa, as a way of undermining the achievements of past 25 years
2. they want to present their nationalist/populist, anti-Western program as "true" democracy. Never mind that it excludes 60% of Poles...
3. the ruling party leader also wants to make his dead brother, Lech Kaczynski, the "true" hero of the anti-communist Solidarity movement
4. but to do that, he has to eliminate Walesa and manipulate history - because his brother's actual role in Solidarity was extremely minor
5. There are lots of precedents for this kind of thing, i.e. Stalin writing himself into the Bolshevik revolution as a hero
6. FWIW I don't think he will succeed - too many people still remember 1981, which wasn't that long ago. And nobody is afraid of Kaczynski.
7. State TV is nervous because we are nearing anniversary of Aug 31, the day Walesa signed the Gdansk agreement, a huge Solidarity victory
8. And Walesa is in all of the 1918 photographs. Neither Lech nor Jaroslaw Kaczynski are anywhere to be seen. ENDS