Excellent twenty lessons from the history of the 20th century by @TimothyDSnyder. Below in a twitter-friendly format:
1) Don't obey in advance. Power of authoritarianism is freely given- people think what worse govt will want, &start to do it w/o being asked
2) Defend institutions. Don't speak of "our institutions" unless u act on behalf. They go ☟ like domino unless each is defended from day 1
3) Recall prof ethics. Just practice key. Hard to break a rule-of-law state w/o lawyers, and it is hard to have show trials w/o judges
4) When listening 2 politicians, distinguish words. Look 4 use of "terrorism"& "extremism." Be alive to notions of "exception" & "emergency"
5)Authoritarians crave 2 consolidate power. Think of Reichstag fire. Sit requires end of balance of power? Old Hitler-trick. Don't fall 4 it
6) Be kind to language. Avoid parroting. Think your own way of speaking. READ: Havel, Miłosz, Arendt, Camus, @peterpomeranzev
7)Stand out. It will feel strange, but w/o unease there is no freedom. When you set example spell of status quo is broken others will follow
8) Believe in truth. To abandon facts is to abandon freedom. If nothing is true there is no basis to criticize power. Money talks
9) Investigate. Read long articles. Subsidize investigative journo, buy print media. Some of what is on your screen is there to harm you
10) Practice corporeal politics. Power wants body softening& emotions dissipating on screen. Get outside. Make new friends & march with them
11)Make eye contact & small talk. It is a way to stay in touch w/ surroundings, break down social barriers & come 2 understand whom 2 trust
12)Take care of the face of the world. Notice swastikas&other signs of hate.Don't look away, don't get used to. Set example by removing them
13)Hinder 1-party state. Parties that took over states were once smth else. They exploited momentum 2 get rid of rivals. Vote while you can
14) Give regularly to good causes. Pick charity&set up autopay. Make a free choice that supports civil society helping others do smth good
15)Private life: Get rid of malware.Personal exchanges?In person, not e-mail. Resolve legal trouble. Blackmail state looks 4 hook 2 hang you
16) Learn from other countries, be in touch w/ friends abroad.No country will solve present problems by itself. Make sure to have a passport
17)Watch out4paramilit. If men in uniforms march around w/torches&pics of Leader, end is nigh.When paramilit&police intermingle,game is over
18) Be reflective if you must be armed. Evils of the past involved police&army finding one day they do irregular things. Be ready to say no.
19) Be as courageous as you can. If none of us is prepared to die for freedom, then all of us will die in unfreedom.