1. Some are now saying it was wrong for Merkel to tell the truth, to admit that Trump presidency is a game changer. I really disagree.
2. It really is past time for Europe, EU+UK, to start thinking hard about a future without US security. Trump himself may go soon...
3.but the instincts Trump represents - anti-European, isolationist, whatever you want to call them - are strong part of US political culture
4. And yes I know Merkel was campaigning, that she has said similar things before. But the political context is now different.
5. Post-German election, Merkel and Macron could begin to forge real EU security/defense policy, hopefully with UK support and contributions
6. Good idea to prepare people, make them think about it, talk about what the dangers are and why it is necessary. Doesn't mean Nato is over