Couple of thoughts on legal vs moral/ethical WRT to the current music landscape. Just because something is legal, doesn't make it useful.
2) it's quite possible to do things that are very much pro-music but technically wholly illegal under current copyright law.
3) it's 'legal' for a record label to spend your money for you without telling you, pay themselves with it, then hold your art to randsom...
4) you are free to pay for anything you've torrented. If in doubt, ask the artist. If you're scared to ask the artist, question yourself.
5) Whether Spotify is legal or not is moot. It is what it is. No-one is every going to make enough to 'fund' their art/life from it...
6) if that doesn't bother you, you have nothing to worry about for now. If it does, you are a grown up, be the change you want to see.
8) When Lady Gaga was reported to have made pennies from spotify, she had sold 20 MILLION downloads. These are not unconnected.
9) (I think I lost count, go with me). Spotify isn't the future of music. Music is the future of music. Rock stardom is a smile on a dog.
10) by far the worst enemies of musicians making music are the RIAA/BPI - trade bodies that couldn't give a flying fuck about art or artists
11) torrenting is not a 'moral act'. It's not sticking it to the man. You get music. That's it. If you're grateful for it, say thank you.
12) there are many ways to express gratitude. Paying for someone's art is as good as any. As is sharing it around. Get excited about art.
13) making a living as a musician has never been easy. The last 50 years of music press has been a giant smoke screen. a billion tons of BS
14) the reality of being a musician is way more interesting on twitter than it is in the NME. Offer some encouragement to the minstrels.
16) art makes your life better. Bad art eats away at the soul. Bad art is easy to sell than good art. Feed your soul.
17) it's unfashionable to give a shit about people. What are you, 12? Screw fashion. build karma. ignore nonsense about copyright legality.
7) DEAct or no DEAct music isn't going back behind a firewall. You're a grown up. Do what is right, not just what you can get away with.
18) DLing music isn't "stealing" nor is it equiv to forcing someone to fix your heating. Ignore pretty much everything Lars Ulrich ever says
19) but neither is torrenting 'helpful'. It's neutral, at best. For me, until you come and say hi, you don't exist, neither do the MP3s.
20) I'm v grateful to anyone who bothers to listen to me. Even more so if they buy it/share it. Telling your friends is the new advertising
21) there are no 'entitlements' here. I don't have a 'right' to make a living from music, and you don't have a 'right' to hear it.
22) art is a gift. A gift to the artist and a gift to those who experience it. Treat is as such, do what you can to make the art flourish.
if you're new here thanks to the rant (lots o' new followers.. yay!) here's what I achuamully sound like - bit.ly/jeA1pS :)